Friday, April 2, 2010

Holy Tuesday III: Shattered

On the walk from my house to my study at the church building, I was moving my alb from one arm to the other and caught the top of the vessel I use for the chrism oil and it shattered on the driveway. Not good.

This reminded me of a few things. First, Holy Week is a week of shattered expectations. From start to finish Jesus does not do what is "expected" of him... and for this I am deeply grateful. Second, it was a reminder for me to take a deep breath and to walk these days one at a time. As a wise colleague of mine said, "Pace yourself." Third, our Lord takes our shattered lives and begins to put them back together.

"But we have this treasure in clay jars, so that it may be made clear that this extraordinary power belongs to God and does not come from us."

No comments:

Post a Comment