Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Technology, T-Metals and the Task of Being a Christian

I probably write a bit too much on technology. Truth be told, it's always been a mixed bag for me. I love my laptop because it makes my work portable... but I hate that I do a lot of extra work because I can take it with me. I love that my cell phone allows me to make calls whenever and wherever I want... but it makes it harder to truly "be away" for vacation, etc. I love that posting a document online (or sending this to you via email) can save lots of paper... but email spam drives me crazy.

At a conference I attended in July on preaching, one of the groups that did relief work around the world highlighted the impact all our consumption of new technology has upon the lives of those who live in third-world countries. Read about what our hyper-consumption of "T" metals (Tin, Tantalum, Tungsten) used in cell phones is doing in the Democratic Republic of Congo, for example. [*Note: I do not know enough about the organization that wrote this piece to recommend it or not; I am simply sharing it as one example of the problem.] In simple terms, our consumption of new technology is never neutral.

Part of our calling as Christians is a call to renunciation, of saying "No!" to the things the culture around us may unflinchingly embrace. I wonder how a simple act of prayer might inform the way we embrace or decline new technologies. What might it mean to make the sign of the cross or pray together with your spouse or teen or friend before considering whether or not to get that new cell phone, iPod or laptop? [Of course, making the sign of the cross and praying in the cell phone section of Best Buy might catch on and people may wonder when they can get their own jPhone!]

The other part of our calling as Christians is to say a resounding "Yes!" to things that are of God or bring God glory (see the last Psalms, 148-150, where the whole creation is invited into one grand "Hallelujah!"). In this spirit, here are a few ways that we as a congregation are using new technology for the sake of the Kingdom of God:

@ Bethlehem now has a Facebook page. Click "become a fan" to receive updates.

@ Pastor Matt has a public Facebook page [also click "become a fan" to receive updates] and a Twitter account [MattMusteric].

@ Sermons are available now on our website for download in MP3 format. My sermons are also available via podcast on iTunes (search for "Matthew Musteric podcast").

@ Our church newsletter is available online as a PDF file. This may mean future savings of time, resources and money.

@ On the front page of our church website you can look ahead to the readings for Sunday [left column], read news about our denomination [right column], and check the calendar.

@ And finally, these devotional reflections come to you free of charge and are posted on my blog.

Are all these things we should necessarily be embracing? I don't know. But it is our task together to continue to discern that, so that we may build up one another in love.

And if all of this technology makes you dizzy, that's OK too. Remember that even books and newspapers were once "new technology."

If you have suggestions for creative ways to use (or avoid) this technology for the glory of God, send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment