Friday, April 10, 2009

i love my wife

Inspired by the book, The Love Dare, and the movie Fireproof, I bought a shirt that reads: "i love my wife" (yes, lower-case "i").

It is telling that when my sister saw it she said, "What's the back say?" We are in our culture so steeped in sarcasm and innuendo, that of course there had to be a catch, right?

As I got dressed for Good Friday, I chose this t-shirt as my undershirt for it captures for me what is at the heart of Good Friday. Jesus willingly goes to the Cross: suffering, bleeding, dying. And why? For what? Many of us have heard the standard answers: John 3:16... or: for our sins... or: for our salvation. But, it seems to me, one powerful and potent answers is that He loves his dear Wife, His bride, His forever Love: the Church.

May we together contemplate the richness and depth of Christ's love for his Holy Bride, the Church, for you and for me.

i love my wife.

"What's the back say?" you ask?

The. Same. Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment