Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Small Catechism and Daily Devotions

I was reading something by Martin Luther several months ago (I believe it was in his introduction to the Small Catechism or Large Catechism) in which he encouraged everyone--including himself--to be daily a student of the catechism: to approach it, to learn from it, to sit and learn.

In this spirit, I have added portions of the Small Catechism to my daily prayer routine. For those interested, I offer this as another possibility for daily devotions. Here is the schedule I use:

Mondays: Ten Commandments and explanation
Tuesday: Apostles' Creed and explanation
Wednesday: Lord's Prayer and explanation
Thursday: Sacrament of Holy Baptism and explanation
Friday: Confession and explanation
Saturday: Sacrament of the Altar (Holy Communion) and explanation
Sunday: Review of all parts or "Daily Prayers," "Table of Duties" and "Christian Questions with Their Answers"

It is a great way to review the basics of our Faith and doctrine and to be a student of the catechism, as Luther encourages us to be.

The version of the Small Catechism I use is published by Concordia ($10).

No comments:

Post a Comment