Thursday, November 8, 2007

Blogging Angst

A recent article in Christianity Today (see title link above) spoke of the number of people who have quit blogging after their initial zealous attempts. When I began this blog, a friend of mine warned me that he was having a hard time keeping up with his.

I remember reading something about blogs as feeding our narcissistic tendencies toward endless autobiography and I think that is an appropriate assessment of what is out there in terms of blogs, myspace and facebook pages. There does come a point of humility, however, when we realize that we don't have all that much interesting to say.

Frankly, I'm undecided about continuing blogging as an expression of ministry. I created three other blogs: one with the hope of posting sermons (which I'm not convinced yet is the best idea), one as a series of reflections on Holy Communion (that I'm woefully behind on), one as a forum for critique and appreciation of the new Evangelical Lutheran Worship hymnal. And then there is this one, which I update far less that I'd like.

So, fellow bloggers and readers, what do you say? [I've modified my settings to allow comments.]

3 comments:

  1. I certainly don't sense "narcissistic tendencies" in your blog. I come here occasionally to read what you have to say. I, for one, say keep at it as the Spirit moves. I've taken some of your suggestions and even bought some books you've recommended. That's no small expense!!! You write well. You have a gift of expression. I say: "keep blogging!"

    Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the other hand, what you say about the humility of learning that we don't have that much interesting to say resonates with me. That is not a crack on your blog, but I do feel a challenge on my blog to "say something interesting" and then I start wondering...why does anyone care that I said this? And...why do I care if anyone cares that I just said this?

    I try to read others' blogs, but I find that I really only get interested in the blogs of people I already know. This makes me think that blogging is just another form of conversation among friends and acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have made several attempts to blog as a form of ministry and have felt woefully inadequate. I have "given up" only to find myself drawn again to the medium. I agree with the preceding comments. I do not get a sense of "narcissistic tendencies" from your writings and I often find them very helpful in my own spiritual formation. Writing our thoughts often gives a chance to clarify and share thoughts that never form when we are together in the same space. Further, I find yours and many blogs I read a wonderful form of prayer and reflection.

    ReplyDelete