Thursday, June 7, 2007

Leviticus, Oil, Smoke

For my morning devotions, I have been making my way through the book of Leviticus. What is most striking to me as I read through this account of the tabernacle worship of Israel to God is how prominently oil and smoke are featured. Smoke is always rising to the praise and glory of God. Indeed, the smell of the burnt offerings is noted as pleasing to God over and over again. Oil is poured out generously setting apart things (and people!) for God's service.

I am part of a tradition that has eschewed (in most quarters) the use of incense and oil in worship. I wonder some days if we're missing something.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we are missing something. We are missing the fifth sense (smell). Worship (that includes the sacraments regularly) engages four senses...touch, taste, sight, and hearing. If we had the oil and incense, then we would have a complete sensory experience. And I think there's something to that.

    ReplyDelete