Thursday, July 6, 2006

Opening "Mass Gathering"

The Gathering officially opened this evening with 14,000 youth converging on the Alamodome. Our speaker, Tony Campollo, gave the evening message--probably the high point of the first gathering.

The rest of the opening gathering was a little disappointing. As one of our youth commented: "It was more like a rock concert than worship... I can hear that stuff on the radio." I think he raised an important question: What makes this gathering--and our time here--distinctively Christian? [Truth be told, I am waiting with great hope to see the answer to this unfold in the days ahead. And while I think the opening session was disappointing for some, I for one, am glad to see youth hungering for something deeper in their time here.]

We concluded the evening with a dance at a nearby hotel and then evening devotions back at our hotel. Our group of 31 was pretty tired by day's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment