Saturday, July 17, 2010

Writing a Better Story with My Life

[Disclaimer: This blog post is part of an entry in a contest to win a chance to attend a workshop by Donald Miller in Portland. But it's probably something I would eventually write about anyway. So there.]

My wife and I often have a conversation about what we would do with several million dollars if we won the lottery. This is always a very theoretical conversation since we don't play the lottery for theological reasons. So perhaps the question should be: What would we do if a box of several million dollars was anonymously dropped at our back door?

My answer has always been that I would open a theological seminary here in NW Ohio. It would have a threefold focus: 1) to allow for post-graduate work for pastors and Bible teachers who want to go deeper in their studies, 2) to allow those considering the ordained ministry to obtain a theological degree as part the process to becoming pastors, and 3) to provide a robust yet accessible series of courses for interested folks of every stripe who want to grow deeper in their Christian faith.

Ideally, there would be a lot more cross-fertilization and conversation between these groups than traditionally happens at a seminary. My other concern is that many seminaries are quickly pricing out many of those who would love to go but cannot afford to. I would want it to be affordable, perhaps even indexing the tuition to income or ability to pay.

For my part, I wouldn't mind doing some of the administrative stuff, but my overall focus would be teaching and getting some world-renowned scholars as visiting professors. Why should the Ivy League schools have a corner on the market for the best and brightest theological minds of our time?

Of course, the real challenge these days for me is: Why should I wait for an anonymous package of several million dollars to arrive before living this story? Don't I believe that God's abundance is far greater than that? Don't I believe that the Holy Spirit is able to move mountains? So I continue to wait, to pray and to begin to live this "better story."

I am hoping that Donald Miller's conference will help me in couple of ways: 1) to help me begin to live a better story and to "live into" the better story that God desires for me and 2) to enliven my preaching and teaching to help those whom I am privileged to serve live better stories with their lives.

Here is a link to the conference web site.

And the video I am supposed to embed:

Living a Better Story Seminar from All Things Converge Podcast on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment